I like #4. There's a lot about doing "this" solo that I don't find much fun or creative. I don't like the act of recording, for example. But I do it because I can't get to what I do like without that. The "producer" hat is the one I most enjoy wearing, after writing. If we limit the thought to what most internet independent artists that I've met or heard over the years (that is, I'm not qualified to produce an album, and nobody I know could or would let me) I'd love to be in the same room when tracks are being laid down and assembled. I'd love to suggest a better way to sing a phrase, or tighten up a line of lyric before it's "too late" (that is, already recorded and probably mixed).

I like to come up with bits of the song in assembling it in DAW that maybe never occurred to me when I was building the basics in BIAB, and I very often "hear" ideas that I can't (or can't yet) realize in the software, but maybe can in producing the mix. This goes beyond performance. Sure, producing can involve wringing out or choosing the best performance possible...but I think producers really shine in other ways. It also goes beyond sound engineering, though that can be a strong component in lifting the piece to a higher level. The Beatles are a prime example. They may have been a fine rock-and-roll band doing good live shows and recording their sets, but George Martin (along with their own wild creativity) made their studio songs something beyond.

I've heard Film Directors say a similar thing about their art and craft. The film, action, and dialog are recorded...but the movie is made in the editing room.

Even though I can't really do that (produce others) in all practicality, the conscious thought of how I might have preferred something be done seems to stick around in my own head, at least for a while. So that's some water in the well or pool, maybe.

Last edited by Tangmo; 04/29/19 03:24 AM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground