Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

A good "update" to a hymn. The guitars are well done - nice lead - and nice harmonies.

I thought the snare could have used some reverb so that it did not sit in front of the vocal. The cymbals in the chorus need to be toned down. They are loud and harsh...and completely take over the mix. The rest works.

glad you like this version FJ. As I have commented on previously..... I hate that the drums are all on one track. If I use EQ to tame the cymbals.... that throws off the snap of the snare.... if I add verb to the snare, it muddles up the cymbals and the rest of the kit. I might need to find another way to do my drums because they are in fact the biggest issue I have with a top quality production. I'm generally pressed for time, but I might just have to see if I can convert the read drum tracks to midi somehow and then use my DAW to split them into multiple tracks and that gives me the power to decree which part of the kit shall get verb and which part shall get EQ.

or maybe I can experiment a bit with my existing drum synths for a bit..... but real drums are so quick and convenient, despite their shortcoming of all being on the same track.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.