David, I have a vague memory of reading that the unassigned money is, after a time, divided up by proportion to the artists who have already claimed royalties. In other words, the rich get richer.

This metadata issue has puzzled me for over a decade since I started entering my CD into databases. I was a computer science professor and I taught relational databases; I understand this stuff and the problems that can arise. For example, a very simple example, one of the songs on my CD is called Father's Day. The presence of that apostrophe has caused no end of problems.

It also rankles me when I'm the composer of a song but only the artist name is anywhere to be found.

Yes, there's money on the table. I wonder why the article said the situation is getting better. If anything, it's getting worse.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors