Hi Mike,

When I listen to the style in BIAB, I suspect that the phase effect you are hearing is most likely due to the Leslie speaker effect. The Leslie speaker is a rotating speaker and a signature sound of Hammond organs. This has two speeds... fast and slow.

When I solo'd the organ track (#689), I could clearly hear these two speeds. I've noticed that when organ tracks are assembled by BIAB, a mixture of fast and slow Leslie sounds are pieced together. In reality a performer would not change speeds as often as the Realtracks do. When I played the B3, and other Hammond models, I tended to use mostly slow-speed Leslie and if I needed a bit more energy in a section, I'd go for the fast speed.

Also, in relation to the distortion, to me this sounds like a significant number of non-harmonic drawbars have been pulled out into the sound. This is another feature of Hammond that gave a signature sound to the B3. Using vacuum tube technology also introduced an element of distortion (if I recall correctly). It's been a few decades since I last sat at a B3!

My experience is that when mixed into a backing track, the fast and slow Leslie variations don't usually matter too much to most mixes other than to give the backing a feeling of movement and space in a similar way to autopan.

If you want to create a more controlled Hammond sound, where you can activate the rotating speaker and choose whether or not to use higher harmonic discordant drawbar sounds, I suggest using the notation from an organ Realtrack or MIDI Super track and assigning a Hammond organ VST to it. That should do the job. Here's a link to some free Hammond organ VSTs...

https://blog.wavosaur.com/7-free-vsts-for-hammond-b3-emulation/

For reference when using drawbars... the 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 foot sounds are octaves of one another. Combination of these set the pitch of the note. The 8 foot sound is standard pitch (that is, middle C played with an 8' sound is the same pitch as middle C on a piano). The factional footages are harmonics and they are used to colour the sounds' tones.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024