Usually when I listen to/hear a country song (at least one that doesn't on the surface have anything to "say" beyond trucks, bars, and rowdy friends) I can only sense a "message" about relationships and all that goes with that. Nothing wrong with any of that. But that's as far as the song will carry me (right or wrong).

What you've done here, though, while it retains meaning to a relationship and is couched in those familiar relationship "tropes", opens up to a universe of implied and applied meaning. Part of the time I joined the song as a father. Part of the time as a citizen. Part of the time as a man who has faith, even if he lacks religion. And the rest of the time in the cracks and overlap between those things.

I can't know for sure if that was your intention in the writing, but I can testify that this has been the result. Moved me. Thanks.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground