A VSTi can be an individual instrument or an instrument with several channels pointing to different sounds. A drum VSTi for example might have one channel incoming and send its output to 18 or so output tracks. It would see the Midi track coming in for individual drums (based on notes) and each note has a different percussion instruments associated with it.

Something such as Kontakt might have several instruments loaded say a flute on channel 1, a piano on channel 2, an organ on channel 3, bass on channel 4. So you have a part to go to piano send it to Kontakt on channel 2. When you select an instrument in Kontakt it displays a channel just send the midi you want for that instrument to that channel.

Note: I export to a DAW rather than do this in BIAB. I’ve not tried to pull Kontakt into BIAB. There are however other VSTi plugins in BIAB and similar rules apply.

As a matter of fact since discussing this today I have just gone back to look at a song where I could not get a RealDrums track the way I wanted. I thought dumb guy. I went back to the song in BIAB changed the track from RealDrums to MIDI, exported the MIDI sent it to Addictive Drums I was then able to reduce the Ride Cymbal that I found distracting in the original RealDrums track. The Midi was easy to edit whereas the audio not so. It is easy to get stuck on a method.

As with most things there are many ways to arrive at a result. The important thing is to enjoy and not get hung up on technicalities. I learnt a long time ago to experiment and enjoy is the way to gain knowledge and do things you thought were not possible. I used to enjoy programming until I spent years at uni learning the “correct” procedures (which these days have largely gone by the wayside.)

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1