Hi floyd,

When I looked at the document that I created for writing about “Coloring Outside The Lines”, I had to blink twice. I seems that I started it on May 7 at 10:05 pm. I clearly recall that I was planning on returning to it the next day. I don’t know where all that time has gone to!

Even though I’m really late to the party, this song is brilliant is so, so many ways.

The first thing that really appealed to me was the way you started the vocals before any of the band got up and running. The way I see it, there is no more powerful way to grab a listener’s attention than to start a song this way. Such an approach to production isn’t used that often these days but some really famous songs and singers have used this technique with a great deal of impact. Titles that spring to mind are…

• Blue Suede Shoes (Elvis Presley)
  • Purple People Eater (Sheb Woolley)
  • Rock Around The Clock (Bill Hailey)
  • Amazing Grace (Judy Collins, Il Divo)
  • Hello God (Dolly Parton)

The way you’ve set the scene and introduced the lead character in verse 1 is spectacular! I found that by the end of the first verse, the image and traits of the woman you’re singing about were realistically vivid in my mind. You’ve painted the picture with some really masterful brushstrokes!

And that production and your singing… just WOW !

My favourite lines are "Coloring Outside The Lines" and “Hell-bent with the slightest hint of heaven” – that’re great metaphors and I seriously admire your ability to come up with them.

I totally enjoyed this (a few times).

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024