Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I feel like a lot of song writing should be, to a degree, experimental. But I think this could work for folks looking for a starting point!

I'm curious as to your choice of the word "experimental" in regards to songwriting, I do hope you'll elaborate. I hadn't really thought about it in that way, but I suppose (in some genres at least), there is and likely should be an experimental element to it.

I've never thought of writing that way in the genre(s) I work in. I can't recall who said it, but a line I always liked about songwriting is "Writing songs is telling someone what they already know in a way they haven't heard it before". I lean more towards that line of thinking. My job as a writer is to convey my perspective on different aspects of the human experience....love, loss, joy, happiness, etc. Very common emotions, things that everyone goes through at one time or another.

The closest I get to what I would consider "experimental" is, for example, to take a very common expression or figure of speech, and try to write a song that has it mean something completely different than the listener expects it to, or in different way than the phrase is typically used.

One of the things I've learned over the years is that the first rule of songwriting is, there are no set rules. What makes a great country song is often very different from what makes a great urban song, a great jazz song, or a great alternative song. It's always great to hear different approaches and perspectives on the subject, that's why I'm hoping you'll expand your thoughts as they pertain to "experimental" as it relates to songwriting.