Roger, I just read this thread- try "organic" instead of "experimental." Testing, but within bounds of a specific but unnamed emotive or functional vector? That can define a lot of what you want to set up your tune.

I write a lot of "stock" tunes - AABA, blues, typical 40s-50s jazz heads. Also more electric 70s-era, and other pre-existing styles.
But I have one that just came out of "Life." Before we were married, working out a really difficult time in our relationship just as I had to leave to go back on the road, I literally stopped the car, went to the side of the road and wrote "How Can You Love Someone." With lyrics , which I don't do, with multiple semi-connecting parts, my personal Bohemian Rhapsody" Never got to perform it, I don't sing. But it is a coherent composition out of thin air and stress...
I have a few others that break the forms, but when in need, a quick blues or faux 40s tune (a sub-standard?) does the job.

And then, even though I am NOT a Bible follower, I wrote about the Fall of Man: After The Fall... which I stlll think is my best lyric.

Last edited by The Soundsmith; 08/01/19 08:37 PM.

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com