Something I just realized, in your OP you referred to the horns as "Solo". They are not a solo horn RT, they're named background horns.

Both of my test songs are not basic 3 chord blues so I just tried that with a simple 12 bar 3 chord blues. Yes, I get a lot of long held chords too but there are still some of the stabs and other fills especially at the B substyle but I agree, not as many as in the demo. Then I tried different key sigs and there's a difference there. Then I put in the fast 4 change on bar 2 and that helped as bit as well. Then I switched it to a minor blues and that changed things up a bit. Then I tried the minor blues in several keys. For each of these I regenerated several times and got different results every time but still, I would say at the best it was 70/30 held chords to all the fills and I think you would probably want to see that ratio reversed.

To be fair to PG consider in a real blues song with horns they are not playing licks and riffs continuously. There is a lot of held chords but you as the mixing engineer need to lower the volume during those sections and bump it up for the riffs and punches. I'm thinking that demo was just that, a demo of a lot of riffs one after the other but it doesn't mean that's what an actual track sounds like. That's a bit of a cop out I know but...

Pipeline is right the easy and fast way to fix this is to open the song in Real Band and use the multiriff function. If you're not familiar with that, when you invoke multiriff in RB it takes the next 7 unused tracks and populates them with 7 different versions of that track in one shot. That saves you from regenerating it 7 times on 7 different tracks manually to get the same result. Then with all those riffs you mute or copy/paste or use the volume nodes to create one good horn track. Personally I see a lot of potential with those horns but I also know they need work to make them fit Cold Duck Time. Few people have heard that version but Jeff Golub put a whole bunch of cool chord subs that take it far from the original Les McCann version.

I just played Cold Duck again and the big difference is the bridge has a chord every bar and the horns play well with that. The verse has Bb for 8 bars so there I get held chords almost every bar and I did get two fills but those held chords are in different inversions and some go up an octave so it's not just the same exact chord for 8 bars.

Like I said in the other thread, different tools for different jobs, none are perfect by themselves. We all would love one awesome program that does it all but that does not exist.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/10/19 09:04 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.