To create useful backing tracks Real Tracks changed the game.
For me BIAB grew from a home practice tool to something I could use for live performance.
My solo guitar career exists because of Real Tracks. Seriously.
Admittedly, its not much of a career, but that's not the fault of BIAB.

With real tracks I can quickly produce a working track with a bass, drums and one or two polyphonic instruments (keys,guitar). Normally I audition a few styles and tweak the instrument selection in BIAB.
I export the wav files to my DAW, do a little mixing and automation, set the limits.
From there I export an mp3 for use in gigging. Presto, voila, etc.
I can whip up a backing track suitable for use in live performance in an hour most of the time.
Pretty decent arrangements and very efficient use of time.
At present, I've got 75-100 tunes I can play live and another 50-100 I'm working up.

All along I've pretty much ignored midi because of my 1990's experience with it.
I know midi has come a long way since then.
I realize midi tracks give one significantly more granularity in modification
The ability to tweak a particular bass line and/or drum track at a particular bar is compelling.

I also know that with great power comes great responsibility.
Midi seems to have a not insignificant investment (some $$, more time) to get skillful at it.
I'm concerned that my track building time would expand from an hour a track to 2 days per track.
Not saying they wouldn't be better tracks, they just might not be that much better.

Perhaps where I'm at is good enough?

Would users who spent real time using both offer up some of their experiences?

What do some users think the future brings?

Thanks.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X