Unfortunately, just being talented and tremendously skilled isn't enough to be famous - and I don't think that's ever been the case, though these days it is more true than ever.

As Roger said - it takes a lot of talent, hard work, sacrifices - and a whole lot of luck. Meeting and knowing the right people, and being in the right place at the right time. I'd argue being famous is overrated as well. To be that in the music industry, you really do need to fit a certain sound, which I'm positive most users in the forum don't want to partake in, and that's okay.

I mean, there are some incredibly talented people on the forums - but they can't compete with Drake or Post Malone because it's just so wildly different, and that is what being a mainstream artist sounds like these days.

95% of music I listen to is either older stuff, or modern stuff that isn't on the mainstream's radar. You can still 'make it' as a music artist, it's just different than it used to be. There is definitely a market for all types of music but being famous just isn't what it once was in the music industry, since the internet changed it so much.

Cheers,
Deryk