Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: rokq22
I'm just trying to catch up before it is too late. (Hell, maybe it's ALREADY too late. I'm 68).

There is nothing easy about DAW's for someone in your position. It's all new and confusing no matter which one you chose so you may as well work with what you've got.

If you struggle with RB, can't get it to work, want to throw it out the window then maybe it IS too late for you because trust me, RB works fine. Other DAW's can be more elegant, look prettier, may do certain things faster (or not) but right now none of that matters. RB will do everything any other DAW will do. What's that you ask? It will record 48 tracks of audio or midi as well as any other DAW would. Other DAW's have unlimited tracks. Do you think you will be recording more than 48 tracks? I doubt it.

It will sound just as good. It works with Biab files which no other DAW will unless you use the Biab plugin and you do NOT want to go there just yet. The plugin is way above your pay grade at this point.

Just get familiar with RB then you'll have a starting point to begin talking specifics about one DAW vs another.

Bob

Harsh, but a fair assessment.

Yes indeed.... any DAW is going to be a steep learning curve. And.... as has been pointed out, some of those have steeper learning curves than others..... however, if you have BiaB you also have a DAW in Real Band. It is a fairly basic, but useful DAW for someone starting out. I use Sonar because I have been using it for a very long time and know it. My learning curve with Sonar was quite an adventure in frustration at times.... more times than I can count.

Dig in to Real Band and learn how to use it. I think you will find it quite capable of most of the things you want to use it for. As you learn how to use it, and if you encounter any real roadblocks to your work flow....at THAT time, and not before, you will have the knowledge you need to find and choose a DAW that does exactly what you want.

Carry on and press RECORD.

EDIT: When you start using RB, be sure to use the tutorials and help provided by PG. And when you have a question or encounter a problem doing something, there is always the REAL BAND forum where other users will come to your aid and provide you with advice and guidance on how it works.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/22/19 03:16 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.