Looks like Dorian is going to turn and miss us. That means I've done all this prep work for nothing. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

The big problems here in Florida are (in no particular order)
  • In the late 1960s and 1970s, bending to the demands and bribes from developers, the building codes all over the state were watered down allowing such things as 2x4 frame houses, shingle roofs, and so on. The houses were not built to stand up to a category 4 hurricane. The big bad wolf will blow a lot of them down. Then they enticed a lot of northerners who didn't know better to buy them.
  • They also built on reclaimed swamp land, which means as soon as we get a lot of rain, the houses are flooded - and the water damage in a hurricane is worse than wind damage.

If you are high and dry (not on reclaimed Everglades), have a well built house, with proper storm awnings or shutters, and you don't do something stupid, the probability of severe injury or death are almost zero, much less than on the road trying to evacuate.

You need to prepare in advance, before the crowds hit the stores. We get plenty of advance warning most of the time. Remember, the storm lasts a few hours, the electricity can be out for as much as 2 weeks
  • Store lots tap water in the glass bottles you have put aside for this years ago and will keep after the storm is over.
  • Buy food that doesn't need refrigeration
  • If you have a charcoal or gas grill make sure you have fuel, if not make sure the food you buy in the step above doesn't need cooking.
  • Fill trash bins with water for flushing the toilet and washing (some people fill bath tubs).
  • Charge batteries or make sure you have disposables for the lanterns and emergency radio that you should have bought when you moved into your house - if you don't have them, get them ASAP even if you have to wait until after the storm.
  • Check your generator and get a lot of gas - if you don't need it you can put it in your car when the storm is over
  • If your house doesn't have storm panels and/or shutters, get that plywood early - and when the storm is over, invest in storm panels and shutters. It's cheap insurance for your safety.
  • Clear your yard of anything that a giant wind can make airborne. A stick can go through a tree or a window
  • If you need medicine, make sure you have at least 2 weeks supply

I've always lived on the "Eastern Sand Ridge" from 20' to 30' above sea level. I've been through almost every hurricane since Donna in 1960 (I was on the road in a rock band for one). The two worst things I experienced was (1) water blowing under a door - mops and towels fixed it (2) I jumped out of my chair when a huge limb of a mango tree broke off and hit the storm awning behind the chair I was sitting on.

That doesn't guarantee I'll make it through the next one, but the odds are better then being on the highway evacuating.

So there is some advice for folks in the path for 'next time'.

And for those where it may still hit, please be safe and follow the guidelines, go to a shelter if needed, or get out of town before the storm is 2 days away.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks