<<< Some things work for me better using old analog tools, and others using new digital tools. >>>

Yes they do. Every so often I return to some of the older books, DVD's from many years ago especially if they pertain to functions of old hardware. I recently read a book published in the late 1980's about MIDI by Craig Anderton. In it's day, it was a very complete and detailed explanation of what midi is, how it works and how musicians use it to connect multiple pieces of gear together. Pro's were using equipment costing thousands of dollars to daisy-chain 4-5 single synths to create sounds a $49 keyboard can easily do today. It's a very complex book.

I just finished a second book last night that I'll be making a post about in a few minutes. From 1996, it's a book on home recording by award winning producer Peter McIan. The book is a technical, hands on book about using professional studio multi track recording techniques on a consumer 4 Track recorder. Only the content dealing with the physical limitations and physics of tape are obsolete. This is a book about sound and how to capture it cleanly. One has read 225 pages into the book before there's ever an instruction to hit the 'record' button. There are chapters on recording drums, bass, guitar and vocals. A chapter on microphones. After 216 pages of theory presented in lay terms, Mr. McIan begins a chapter that gives step by step instructions how to record and mixdown sixteen instruments onto a portable home studio machine. Each with it's own EQ, panning and special effects. The book is still in print because it's still relevant to the home recordist. Even if you use a DAW with unlimited tracks. Check out the post over in the Recording Thread.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/05/19 01:22 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.