Hi All,
I'm having a particularly annoying problem with my use of Midi files with RealBand. I'm pretty sure that there is no actual problem with RealBand, but my own understanding of the Midi protocol is causing me a real headache.

When I open a midi file in RealBand I am pleased to see that the set of instruments defined for the tracks of the music are correctly chosen, albeit in a GM format. This has been a great feature for me because it allows me to easily connect to an appropriate other non-gm synth for each track.

I've just been loading some Organ midi files but the instrument chosen by RealBand has been the the Acoustic Piano for each track.
From my understanding of midi I assume this instrument is chosen as the default instrument because none was mentioned in the midi file. Is it because the the midi file was generated using non GM instruments?

I opened the file using a hex editor and this was quite helpful in getting me familiar with the midi structure, but I could only find one channel select code for channel 0 which was 'CO' with the value '00' and I assumed this would be taken as the default Acoustic Piano.
I found myself getting drawn in more to the midi structure and it was using up a lot of my time because the hex editor wasn't too helpful with actual midi interpretation.

Anyway, if somebody could kindly tell me why some midi files do not have an instrument select code, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Jonel