I don't want to rain on your parade Mike, you're pretty knowlegeable but I just read through your Fine Tuning RB etc regarding VST's and don't get the first half of it.

It's not that complicated but you sure make it seem complicated. First you wrote you left the Use Default Synth checked and set it up for Tracks 1-5 and you were happy with your Thru track for your keyboard voice as you wrote:

Quote:
This is easy in Realband’s Options / preferences / midi /midi thru / set track specific
This way if I am recording a trumpet by playing notes into a track while recording I hear a trumpet or what ever other instrument I choose on any track I hear that tracks voice .

Ok we are looking good, now here comes the rub.

Lets say I have the first 5 tracks going to my default synth via the afore mentioned
Route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth.
Fine I hear these and my thru voice is true to the selected track voice.

You don't say what the channel number was for Thru but the assumption is it had to be one of Tracks 1-5 otherwise you would not have heard it.

Then you talk about setting up Kontakt on Track 6:

Quote:
For track 6 I Insert Kontakt as a Specific vst synth for midi track
Load up an instrument from my Kontakt library. Realband sets up the fist available free port for this on this track in this case it would be port 17. Fine any midi data coming from data recorded on track 6 is routed to my Kontakt selection and plays that voice, and the other tracks play the default synth voices.

Unfortunately the Thru voice for track 6 still gets sent to the default synth as per my route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth and plays the default piano (as there is no other voice specified for that track
As it is specified in Kontakt on port 17.

The work around for this is to un tick the box in midi set up for Route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth.

Now I hear the Kontakt voice as the play through voice on track 6.

What's that? You said the default synth was set to channels 1-5. Did you mean 1-6? If it was 6 and you knew that was your Thru channel then of course you knew you needed to pick an instrument for it. But then you wrote "plays the default piano (as there is no other voice specified for that track) As it is specified in Kontakt on port 17" Again, what? You did not select an instrument for Track 6 in Kontakt? Color me confused here and then you say you had to uncheck Use Default synth. Ok unchecking that seems to be the main point so why put in all the rest of it? Just say you need to uncheck the Default Synth. That's really confusing.

Now you're talking about latency:

Quote:
The other 5 tracks now go to what ever I have set as my mid out device with I might say any latency derived from that trip, but I do hear the track specific voices.

So to get it back to my preferred synth for those tracks I have to:
Assign each track to its own instance of my preferred Dxi/Vst synth.
Its not really a separate instance as such it is the same synth inserted on port 32 once used multiple times. This way I get no latency and every track 1-5 and the Kontakt track have the track specific play through voice.

Talking about invoking a synth multiple times is fine but what you did here has nothing to do with latency. The default synth can be a Dxi or a VST and both are subject to whatever soundcard or interface driver you're using. Latency is latency regardless. Are you saying there really is a difference in latency between the Default Synth and any other synth? I've never heard that and I use different synths including the Default all the time.

Since some folks seem to think these instructions are gold and need to be put into Tip and Tricks, I respectfully disagree with the first half of this, it's pretty simple.

Here's all you need to do:

If you want to change a synth on any track you simply change it. Right click in the Track Name window, select Specific DSi/VST Synth. It's irrelevant if you have the Default Synth checked or not, it's all controlled by the Track Info window by selecting Specific Dxi/VST synth for MIDI track. If you have six synths then set them up on six tracks or if one is multitimbral then use it on several tracks as you described with one of the Kontakt synths.

If you want to test the same synth for the whole song then after selecting a synth for any track also click on Set all MIDI tracks to the same synth you just selected. You can do this to test every synth in your system if you want. Select it then Set all MIDI tracks to it.

That's it.

All of this has nothing to do with the Default Synth setting, the Track Info window bypasses that. UNLESS...

When using the Thru channel to play/record a midi instrument live the Default Synth overrides a different synth you put on that channel? Ok, so uncheck the Default Synth. There's your tip along with my simple instructions.

When I said RB is not complex this is what I mean. A Tip and Trick like this whole post makes it seem to noob's that man, you have to jump through a lot of hoops if you want to use something other than a basic GM synth and that's not true at all.

If I'm wrong please tell me but my workiflow is how I've been doing it for for some time. Just to make sure I'm not smokin my socks again I just set up a song with the Microsoft Wavetable, Coyote WT, SampleTank 3, the Forte Dxi and the Yamaha SPG2 that I think you posted. They're all playing fine together. AND the Default Synth is checked. AND I confirmed they're actually playing, I'm not listening to the Default Synth but the tracks say all these other synths. They're all playing.

Finally, your post is from 2017. Maybe my method was a new version since then? I'm thinking I've been doing this longer than that but memories fade. In any case I really think you should simplify your post in Tips and Tricks.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.