Mike was correct when he specified Options / preferences / midi /midi thru / set track specific because that is when you devolve the routing to the track that is selected. You would have been correct if Mike had specified selecting the global setting.

If a VST is now added (not Kontakt) to one of the tracks then Port 17+ takes over. With this track selected we will still get 'thru' routed correctly with all the other tracks being routed to the default VST.

If Kontakt is added there are sometimes issues and sometimes not.

For example, if I insert Kontakt and use a Strings or Brass instrument then it works just fine in the way that built-in VSTs works. However, if I use an instrument like Electric Sunburst Guitar then it definitely will not work. Only when Omni is selected on Kontakt and the routing in Midi Preferences is unswitched can I get this too work. I have had this problem lots of times in the past and I'm still not entirely sure why this happens.

But, as you say, other than these issues I've had with Kontakt, the configuration is quite simple.

There is one other problem I have faced in Midi Preferences for 'Thru'. If 'Global' is selected then the parameters in the box for Port and Channel become valid (which is what you were alluding to with regard to 'Thru'. I wanted to test this out with my Kontakt instrument. I noted that my instrument was allocated Port 17 and Channel 1. So, I tried to set Port 17 and Channel 1 in this box, assuming that this would be the instrument that would play from my midi controller. But, shock horror, I cannot set any port number above 16! So there does not seem to be any way of allowing this configuration.

Jonel