Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Man, that's a great song. Excellent job on the co-write. And to be able to write with guys who have written other hits. That right there is a level of success many will never know.

Yes, absolutely spot on with the backstory on the skill level in Nashville. So much talent in one place, and only a few will ever be successful. Those studio cats are totally amazing and so skilled at their craft. Been there..... seen and heard amazing voices and instrumental talent singing in hole in the wall places on a "stage" that's hardly big enough to hold a chair and a music stand.

you are absolutely correct about the demo quality required. The demo has to be as good as (or better than) the final version the artist is going to record. I heard the "demo" version of another very popular group's #1 country hit at a LA songwriter symposium. Aside from the different vocalist, the rest would have fooled anyone. The licks and tone, tempo, instrumentation, was dead on. The artist copied the demo music exactly. Only the vocals and harmony let on that it was the artist version vs the demo.

OK, so I listened to your version first, as requested. Good job and yep, everything in it's right place. Next... the Nashville "demo".

The Nashville demo has my vote. A few reasons. First the sound quality of the mix is so open and crystal. Your version has more midrange and the instruments were not as distinct in the mix. Likely due to the mids. Next, the singer simply drew me in to the song. Yeah, I heard you singing and the words you were saying but.... I really "heard" the song when she sang it.

None of that is a slight to you or your skills. It simply shows that the mix quality and the singer one selects for a song is a major factor in how the song is heard by the audience. For the same reason 5 singers can cover the same great song and one of them you love and the others it's kind of meh.

We set here in our home studio, bedroom, attic, garage, basement, and try to write and record. Yes we have good tools. But truth is, we have a hard time at best trying to compete with the talent in the music capitals with experience and skills. One could try for a few lifetimes to write a hit song and never even get a "hold" in Nashville. It's a combination of having the skill, being in the right place at the right time, and having someone in the business to help you, and being there every day and night. For most of us, me included, I write for my own pleasure and my only competition is the last song I wrote. My goal is to write the next one better.

That said, there is still plenty of room in the business for less than superbly written songs and mixes that are not Nashville/LA raise the bar kinds of mixes. Film, TV, and other commercial uses are in need of music of all kinds and some actually specifically ask for lo-fi mixes.

In closing.... yes, I could hear Reba singing that song. The reasons songs get passed on vary and if you were in the final 100 or so songs in competition for Reba's newest CD project at the time...... that's a huge accomplishment. There's only room for 10 or so songs. Depending on Reba's clout at the time, she might not have had the lion's share of that decision. It still doesn't detract for the fact that you have a really well written song there that you can be proud to say... "I had a part in writing that".

Herb - thanks for having a listen. Glad you like it.

Let's clear up a few inaccuracies or misconceptions...
This caliber of player and singer won't be found playing in "hole in the wall" bars in Nashville. The fact is, there are almost no places with Country bands playing in or around Nashville. That is certainly the case for the last 30 years. There are a couple of small bars on Broadway for the tourists with bands crammed on small stages (Tootsie's being one of them). Those bands are typically fairly run-of-the-mill bands playing covers. If you are in town for a day or two, that is likely what you end up seeing...Quality bands don't come to Nashville to "make it". There is no place to do that. You do that in Texas or Oklahoma. There is one big bar in Printer's Alley that has a good band. And there are a couple of showcase clubs where there is an occasional one-off showcase for the record labels...a singer looking for a deal will gather some great musician (this caliber) for that, but it is not open to the public - invitation only, one show. (One of the better ones for that closed a few years ago - so those are drying up, too) There just simply are not places to hear Country music in Nashville. The Wildhorse, of course...those are touring stars... The local bar scene is mostly alternative rock bands...a bunch of good ones. The Rock scene in Nashville is good. The good news is you can find Songwriters Nights in a number of places.
Your point about the singer is arguable to the other side. Often, to "sell" a song (and get it cut) it is more important that the recording have the proper emotional impact - and not just be "slick". In this case at least half of the responders found the Nashville demo lacking the emotion that the song needs - and preferred my own reading of it. That emotion is crucial. My friend Tony Lane got a number of (big) cuts with simple demos - often little more than his vocal and guitar - because he is SO good at putting his songs across - soul-crushing emotion.
Reba (along with her husband) built a musical empire. She was one of the most powerful women in Nashville. No on ever told her what she could or couldn't do. She has been calling ALL the shots for most of her career.
Keep in mind you are comparing the sound of a Soundcloud processed 128 mp3 to a 320 mp3 (on my site). It ir really more about the high end being stripped that makes the the mid-range more predominant. The 320 version on my site (at the bottom) will show that if you are listening on good speakers. Though, no question the Nashville version is crystal clear.
Not sure what your point is about "room in the business for less than superbly written songs". That's not a place I would go or something I would encourage people to strive to.