Janice, Bud, floyd and Peter,

Every way that I listen to this song and read these lyrics, all I can think is that this is...

You've all done a mighty, mighty fine job.

The lyrics are awesome. I love that 'good news/bad news' hook and I love the way the verses work the hook. In addition to this, starting with the chorus is stellar! It's a great chorus and by beginning with it, the listener really gets to make the most of the journey.

From a lyric writing perspective, it's interesting how that instead of the verse leading to and providing background for the chorus, in this instance, the chorus leads to and provides necessary background understanding for verse 1. It's a great effect when it can be pulled off like you have.

The strongest possible way to open a song is to take a running start and jump right on into it without any introduction whatsoever. This is a technique that Elvis Presley (and many other highly successful artists) have used a number of times. In a recent song, floyd also demonstrated how powerful such a start is. It's not used so much these days. That said, though, now we have Janice clearly showing all of us here on the forum just how incredible and attention grabbing an introduction-free song is.

For me, the way this song started was akin to saying "Hang on to your hats, folks, we're off on the ride of your life!!!" So I just sat back and let the music carry me along on a thoroughly enjoyable roller coaster trip.

A while back, I read a quote by Iggy Pop where he said... "Really good music isn't just to be heard, you know. It's almost like a hallucination." If anyone wants to experience what Iggy meant, all they need do is to listen to this song. The combination of -- eidetic lyric imagery, Janice's soaring vocals, excellent background vocals, great guitar work from Peter, a wonderful melody, an inspired arrangement, a mesmerisingly great mix -- make for a musical journey that unfolds as a movie in the listener's mind.... at least it did that for me smile

Just wow! I bet if you sent this to a radio station in Nashville, it would get airplay!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024