I want to get into music production (mostly electronic and elements of rock, mostly guitar) and I think I understand what I need for a basic setup. Going into the holiday season I know some cash is coming my way, so it's time to make it happen. I think I have my headphones picked out, gonna go with closed-back just for cost and noise isolation reasons.

The piece I'm most confused about is the audio interface. I have a MacBook Pro, the one with the touchbar and USB‑C ports. I just upgraded to macOS Catalina in case that matters for driver support.

Like I said, I mostly am going to produce in the box (that is what it's called when you use plugins right?) and at most will record some guitar, probably using amp modeling software. So from what I understand that means I need a 1/4" line input? But the impedance matters right? I'm a little confused on that part...

Before you jump all over me, I DID google this!! I came across what I think is a good audio interface guide.

My questions are:

1) Is that actually a good audio interface guide? (linked above) I've used that website before to see what gear people use but never their guides.

2) They say
Quote:
"Beginner & Budget does not mean these are not professional grade. Technology has come so far that a $99 audio interface can be the center of your small studio and make your recordings sound great."
... is that a true statement?

3) If I stick to a budget interface, how quickly would I outgrow it? What's the biggest risk in not saving up for a more high-end one? Is it quality, or is it number of inputs?

4) Is there that much difference in reality between Focusrite, Native Instruments, Audient, and Presonus?

5) What interface do you guys have? And how do you like it, i.e. would you buy it again today?

Thanks!