Originally Posted By: rharv
Your signature mentions the Focusrite 18i20(2) .. I have one, and if I don't have everything set to 24 bit, when I use it I sometimes get this same problem. Whether or not that is the case here I dunno, just mentioning; in my experience, the 18i20 (2) seems pretty finicky with bitrates.

Making sure the 18i20 is fired up (before the application you are using it in is launched) seems to also be something I've noticed, so the driver can 'get control'.
I like how it works when it works, but lately I've noticed some weirdness like the info above with it.

Thank you, Bob. Yes, the first thing I thought of was mismatched sample rates because you are exactly right about finicky. I think I'm good. My whole computer system is usually on so I'm pretty sure there is no 'warm up' type requirement, but I'll experiment.

I run everything in the room at 44.1, 16 bit. Are you possibly suggesting the Focusrite might be more stable at 24-bit?

If it helps, here is the equipment involved, pretty much in order of the signal path:

i7 home-built PC (no difference when turned off), latest drivers
Behringer X-Touch MIDI controller (no difference when turned off)
iRig Keys 37 MIDI keyboard
Roland Integra-7 hardware MIDI synth
Focusrite 18i20 2nd Generation with latest driver
TC Electronic Finalizer Express
Presonus Central Station with remote
Adam A5X monitors plus Adam subwoofer

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors