Quote:
That, and everything I can think of, is set to 16-bit if I have a choice. Same for the Focusrite, and of course I use the latest ASIO driver as they said. The Focusrite Control (mixing and settings) software says 44.1 but makes no mention of bit rate; I always assumed it didn't care and picked that up from the setting in the software doing the recording.

Well Focusrite clearly states their driver is 24 bit plain and simple.
Whether 44.1 or 48 or 96 or 192 doesn't matter.

If I throw 16 bit at my 18i20 (2) I always have clicking. Always.
Sometimes it isn't as noticeable as other times but it is there.
It stinks when working on existing 16 bit content as I have to convert to 24 bit first to not have these issues .. but if everything starts in 24 bit I never have this problem.

Reaper, RB .. doesn't matter which DAW, I get clicks if I send the 18i20 16 bit data.
I don't recall the 2i2 doing this, but it's pretty absolute with my 18i20.

I'm debating on a different interface for the studio because of it.
Something with all the input connections on the front and will play nice with 16 bit.

It's OK for home, but for production work I need something a little more forgiving and adaptable.
Just my experience. Again, I like the unit a lot but it is pretty finicky at times.

If the audio cable tests don't solve it I'd try setting your DAW to 24 bit and see if it solves things.
You may have to let it convert existing stuff when you work on it, but that was the solution for me anyway.

One other thing I learned is not all USB cables work the same with it.
One 6' USB cable I had caused me 2 days of grief. When I first got it I didn't want the unit as close to the computer as the factory cable was forcing me to place it.

I bought a nice (better quality) 15' cable and those problems went away.
The 24 bit issue remained though.
Are you using the factory supplied USB cable? If not, have you tried it to see if it makes a difference?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome