The Linux was half-joking. Does BIAB even run on Linux? And I wouldn't trust ANY operating system now to be immune from malware.

About the upgrade to Windows 10, I can give you some reassurance.

It's been many years now, but yes, Windows 10 did give me a performance boost, better than just a fresh install of anything would have caused.

It's also been many years since I fretted much about tweaks. Sure, there are a few like power options that any audio PC needs, but gone are the days of Black Viper tweaks. Windows 10 just works.

And you are correct about updates resetting some settings, but for all the griping, it's only in a couple of areas. For me, my HD audio driver keeps getting turned back for my video monitor (how stupid is that, when I have really good audio powered speakers), and sometimes I have to go back in and reexamine the Power Settings in Control Panel, such as making sure USB ports are not powered down to save power. It's annoying, sure, but not a massive task. Just something to gripe about, which is why you hear about it a lot. Overall, Windows 10 is by far the best operating I've used, and I go back to MS-DOS, UNIX, and IBM mainframes.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors