Steve, thanks again.

This is a little like planning to go to the doctor when you are sick, then you get there and you are OK. The system is working fairly well!

BUT - I have repeatedly broken the most important rule in the diagnostic book: don't change more than one thing at a time. Thus I don't know for sure what I did. There were so many good ideas here.

HOWEVER, I do know one thing absolutely: when I generate a sound on my Roland Integra-7 MIDI hardware sound synth, it generates clicks and pops. I have written a detailed question to Focusrite Support about this, asking what settings should be used.

I just re-read the entire thread and Bob - Rharv - alone has experienced what I have while using the same Focusrite model, and he says making all devices 24-bit works. I think I'll try that next.

Once again, many thanks for all the help here. This really is a great community. I'm pretty savvy on computer stuff but no one has all the answers.

matt

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors