JJJ, you're right to ask.

In theory, the benefit for defragging an SSD is pretty small but real.

The delay reading data on a standard mechanical hard drive is the time for the head to move as the disk rotates, so when a file is fragmented into pieces, there is more movement and hence slower access time. While the access time on an SSD is magnitudes of order faster, it still takes longer if a large file is fragmented than if it isn't.

This is one of those things about how much effort is too much for the benefit. For anyone reading, this is really on the cutting edge and not necessary. It's for those of us who like to tweak for tweak's sake, for a little improvement, just because you can. The point of my post is, now you can. That was news to me.

Oh, and replacing your mechanical hard drives in your computer with SSD drives is the single best performance improvement you can now make in a computer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors