This is a general comment for noobs - yes one master and one slave but there is no actual signal coordination or duplexing over the fiber or copper. Simply put master and slave are set on the devices with a physical switch, SW setting, or where fiber or copper connector is connected on device. Those modes (master/slave) are not sent or acknowledged over the signal line and clock info is always and only sent one way.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/understanding-digital-clocking-for-audio/

But Focusrite, I7, your PC software Audio Device settings and other PC SW use terms like "internal" (not master or slave) because they are really "self-clocking" just means that you, the human, need to ensure all things are set to SAME sample rate because again this is not coordinated over the fiber or copper signal line.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 11/08/19 01:00 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20