This is definitely my weak point. Drums! I try not to think of them much and just have BIAB do its thing. It is really all about bass, piano, guitars and maybe a horn or two. Right?

But then I hear the beat in the background in a really nice tight arrangement. Or a I listen to a popular tune and recognize that vibe is all drums. Or I hear a fill which is the perfect fill. Lets face it, we all know, the drummer is the hardest working member of the band. And I wonder... how can I get that in my mix!

Real Drums
Drums in BIAB have always been "set it and forget it". On one hand wonderful - they sound good right out of the box. But on the other hand they can be greatly lacking in originality and flexibility. Or, maybe I have just been missing how to work with RealDrums!

Other Tools
Over the years I have picked up a few extra tools. The Toontrack's EZDrummer series is really powerful and I have used this when I need that special something. But with that power comes extra work as well as a prerequisite to better understand drums. If this is the answer then I believe I simply need to learn more about how a drummer thinks and put in the time to "program the drums". Not something I have been willing to do as a routine workflow.

Another drum tool is Jamstix. This program thinks more like I do about drums. Actually there is a big sale now at the site:

https://www.rayzoon.com/online_shop.html#tgb
Click and listen to the new "Darkside" drums "... a drum style marked by steady grooves with a straight ride pattern and big tom-heavy fills oozing triplets" for 9 USD

which is why I am thinking about this now. Is there something/anything in this demo link above, which is even remotely possible with Realdrums?

How about you folks - any thoughts on drums?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper