Charlie,
Thanks for the additional info.

To be honest I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the possibilities. I initially started down this path because I wanted a way to combine the output from BiaB with that of my Roland RD800 digital piano. Playing the piano through my studio monitors, and BiaB through some old PC speakers, wasn't cutting it. Being ignorant of most of the technology my first thought was some type of hardware (mixer?) to connect the computer and piano outputs and pipe the combined sound to my studio monitors. When I started looking into it the first option suggested was an audio interface. At that point I began looking at the Presonus and Focusrite products. I didn't have a clue what an audio interface was but it seemed like most people (and online resources) considered them as the heart of a studio setup. I figured it would be good for me to get up to speed, or at least become familiar with one. I also discovered interfaces were typically packaged with a lot of other potentially useful tools, so an interface seemed to make sense.

As regards interfaces I've been considering the Presonus 24C/26C or Focusrite 4i4, although they are probably overkill for my immediate purposes. It was mentioned above that line inputs would be important for my digital piano so I've been trying to keep that in mind when looking at products. Also, I'm not sure it should factor in, but I have my piano connected to the computer via midi for Sibelius. I use Sibelius a lot, but currently not that frequently through midi. In any case, I was thinking that midi connections might be useful on an interface. I guess in general If I decide to get an interface I don't want to limit a reasonable amount of expandability or growth.

So a basic question for a newbie like me is:
Does it make sense to get up to speed with a popular audio interface as an entry point into all of this technology. Interfaces seem to be so prevalent that I'm a bit hesitant about going down a hardware based path, but that's based on nothing but gut feelings. Also, I guess I'm experiencing a lot of "mission creep" and now I'm entranced with all of the additional software tools packaged with interfaces, even though I'm probably too ignorant to use most of them.

Thanks again.

P.S. Next majorly stupid question. Will utilizing a decent audio interface allow me to get better sounds out of BiaB? When I first got BiaB I spent a lot of time trying to configure the MIDI/Audio driver setup, but still a lot of the BiaB sounds are really crappy. Will an audio interface allow for potentially better sounds, or is that a whole separate issue dealing with sound libraries, patches, whatever????

Last edited by KLB; 12/13/19 08:22 AM.