It's possible that this issue is specific to my configuration, and there's a better way to do it, but just thought I would share a trick that I found.

I frequently find that I want to play some audio outside of BIAB while I'm working in it, and in my particular configuration (using ASIO4All). For me this happens a lot since I may want to play a chord sound from a website or listen to a track that I have open in another window.

I'm normally unable to play any audio outside of BIAB on the machine I'm running it from - it will either not produce sound or tell me another device is controlling the sound. I stumbled across a way to get around this by opening the Style Picker and then playing a pre-made demo, and hitting the stop button. As long as that dialog is left open, I'm able to play sound through my browser and other apps without having to exit BIAB.

I'm not 100% sure that this always works, though and there are times when I have BIAB open and depending on what is being done, the sound may still play, but it seems that by performing the steps above, it allows the sound to play outside of BIAB.

I don't want to recommend this unreservedly because it seems a bit klugey, but it works for me.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts