Originally Posted By: KLB
But here's the million dollar question:
[b]As far as BiaB is concerned why use MIDI at all? Why not just stick with Real Tracks and call it a day?

This is totally up to you. When the RT's first came out in 2008 they caused a sensation around here for this exact reason. Nobody understands midi, didn't want to learn it, didn't want to spend the money for a high end synth so for a large portion of users it's all RT's.

However as you go along on your Biab journey and find some songs lacking because you can't find an RT that gives you what you want for a certain part that's where a good midi part comes in. You can find midi files online, some are pro level, some are total amateur. They're free so you get what you pay for. Still, if you wanted a certain guitar part you may find it online as a midi file and you can use it with Biab or your DAW.

Before you give up on your Roland convert that .ini file I posted the link for to a .pat file. I looked it up and it's very easy, in Biab go to Help>Index and type in Patches.ini. It first talks about using Power Tracks (same as Real Band) but at the bottom it says if you have a Cakewalk.ini use the same procedure. I remember doing that with my Sonic Cell about 5 years ago and it just took a few mouse clicks. Then you can use any brass sound for your Roland has for example and see if that's any better than the GM one you tried. Then at least you know what the Roland is capable of. It could be that Roland isn't really designed to be a good external sound module anyway. I know it's a great performance keyboard and that's now it's marketed. I almost bought but decided to get my Kurzweil. If you're still not impressed then use the RT's.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.