“It seems that, given the prominence of streaming and the audio impact of gain reduction on those sights, the loudness wars ended with a whimper from the bluster side and a pyrrhic victory for the dynamic dudes.“

At the risk of continuing my hijack of your thread I have to say that the above summary is priceless!

And, BTW, I’m a septuagenarian with tinnitus and a profound high end hearing loss. Were it not for a brilliant audiologist we would not be having this chat!

Thanks for the back ground info. I think Spotify drove the final nail in the loudness war coffin with their statements this year on the 14 LUFS levels.

And thanks for sharing the waveform image. Yep, for the genre the dynamics are there and, yep again, it is up there in volume. The cool thing about the newer and some of the older maximizers is how the dynamics can be maintained while increasing the volume to levels never thought possible w/o smashing it. Nothing new there but to a guy who came outa the analog school in the 60’s it’s amazing.

Cheers,

Bud