A little while ago in 2019, I contacted Steve Young and asked if he would be interested in working on a song with me. Much to my excitement, Steve said, “Yes”.

The song that I’d written was a lullaby. With lyrics and music, I tried to create a hint of ‘olde worlde’ by using occasional words and melody that were more reflective of the 1700s and 1800s rather than the 2000s. I was at a loss as to where to go from there, though, and needed some help. Thus my email to Steve because after hearing years of his music, and already having co-written two songs with him, I know that he must have a 10th Dan Black Belt in the martial art of Music Arranging.

Even though Steve has a Mac computer and I have a Windows PC, the good news about BIAB is that files between the two are fully compatible. And so this particular journey of collaboration began. I sent Steve my BIAB file, the lyrics, a rough vocal track and an audio workfile. Steve took all this on board and with help and using his arranging expertise, we finally arrived at the below song…

Please feel free to comment critically on any aspect of the song. On behalf of Steve and me, I sincerely hope that you enjoy listening. (The lyrics are on Soundcloud at the above link.)

Regards,
Noel and Steve

The Orchestra

Realtracks

777: Bass, Acoustic, PopWaltz Ev 085 (A:simple)
2774: Harp, Rhythm CelticWaltzSlow Ev 085

In addition to these two Realtracks, Steve played all the below MIDI parts.

Other Tracks

12 tracks of MIDI brass and woodwinds...

2 x flute trills tracks (Ableton Live Woodwinds)
2 x Flute legato tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds)
2 x Clarinets tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds
2 x French horns tracks (EastWest Hollywood Brass)
2 x English horns tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds)
2 x Trombones tracks (EastWest Hollywood Brass)

There are 7 tracks of MIDI strings...

2 x 1st violin section tracks (1 Sonivox Strings, 1 Native Insturments (NI) String Ensemble)
1 x 2nd violin section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x viola section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x cello section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x solo violin track (EastWest Solo Violin)
1 x solo cello track (EastWest Solo Cello)

Other MIDI instruments

1 x Piano track (NI Alyssa's Keys piano softsynth)
1 x Una Corda Piano track (for reinforcing certain elements) - (NI Una Corda piano)
1 x Triangle percussion track (Ableton Live percussion)
1 x Tree mark chimes percussion track (Ableton Live percussion

Tracks used to make the music box

a freeware music box sound that works with NI Kontact
1 x melody track,
4 x individual harmony/accompaniment tracks (to give it a more authentic music box feel)
1 x Track for wind-up sound for music box (found free wav file online)

Quote:
Steve, I want to say a huge “Thank you!” You took an idea along with a very ordinary sounding BIAB file and audio workfile and, with your help and expertise, they became an orchestral masterpiece. I truly am in awe of your ability to arrange music.

It has been a real pleasure working with you again,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024