Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
When I read all these different ways to do this I think you guys are missing a very important point. A fundamental, primary reason Biab is better than prerecorded midi files is it gives you a slightly different performance every time you regenerate the song. Of course the whole track is generated, not just a few bars. It's advertised as the closest you can get to having real musicians in your living room because real players will slightly change things up every time they play a song. Peter has written about this many times. This point is always someone's answer to the question why do you bring a laptop running Biab to the gig and not convert your Biab arrangements to MP3's? They want that variety so the song is not a static karaoke file.

This is the original and foundational reason for the creation of Biab in the first place. To NOT have a program that creates static tracks. Again, I point you to Real Band. It was designed to do all these often repeated requests for things that Biab can't do.

This is like planning for a boy baby, you get one and years later deciding you really wanted a girl. Oh, wait...

Bob

You incorrectly assume that all BIAB users perform with it as a karaoke machine. Nope. I would never use it that way. I'm using it to produce recorded tracks.

And anyway, your description of BIAB always playing something different isn't a benefit, rather, it is one of the main problems in an actual crummy band...the guys can't remember their parts and always play things different when you (and the listeners) want them to play it the same!