Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
The single thing, that I see keeps echoing from one forum thread to another is "EDM"...

Terry, you are correct, kids like GOOD vintage music. I take my son to rollerskating rink every week, and young kids (7-12) skate with the same enthusiasm to modern EDMesque music as they do to Pop / Rock / R&B of 1960s-90s. And not even ONCE I heard anything negative about vintage tunes from them.

Sorry, Rusty but this means absolutely nothing. Are they streaming classic rock? Are they buying Beatles or Santana albums as digital downloads? Of course not. They hear that stuff and they think it's ok, they don't hate it or anything.

All you have to do is have a nice, friendly discussion with them and DO NOT even say the words "Good music is good music". They'll shut you right out in a polite way. No, tell them you've listened to some modern dance music and you're curious who their favorite artists are. Do they like the DJ's or the rappers better? What vocalists do they like? Name drop, ask what they think about Skillrex or Ed Sheeran or Drake. Once they open up and they know you're not going to make fun of their taste in music, they'll tell you. Highly unlikely you'll find any classic rockers in their list.

For the over 18 ones, ask what concerts they've gone to last year, what dance clubs do they go to and what kind of a dance club is it. I doubt they've gone to a AC/DC concert or a classic rock club. It's all DJ's, EDM, Rap and some R & B vocals. No, not Motown or Al Green, modern R & B which sucks to our ears.

If you have no idea who those people are (They're making millions) and maybe tried to watch the Grammies last year but turned it off after 10 minutes then you have no clue what's going on. If you are like me and do watch the Grammies, listen to some modern stuff, watch YouTube vids about all this, great. I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying I told myself 50 years ago I would not grow old with a brain frozen in concrete and living in a 40 year old time warp. I will know what's happening in the music biz.

I'm a fairly busy gigging keyboard player. It's 90% classic rock and 10% jazz but 20 years ago it was 50/50. Jazz is dead except for special occasion shows like a classical orchestra or string quartet would do. Classic rock is next.

I just finished three gigs over New Years including playing NYE at a funky old bar called the Marlin Club on Catalina Island. Loud classic rock. A few young people were there and they liked it but I doubt they're actually buying any of it from any source and that's all that counts. Follow the money. It's baby boomers like us who keep the Stones, Journey, Aerosmith etc concerts going. We're gone, they're done. And some of them are leaving before we are like Elton John just did.

I'm 74 now, will I be gigging in 10 years? Who knows but if I can, I will but I'm not stupid. If I'm either dead or out of it, I'm not caring about all the classic rock RT's inside Biab. The question would be then, who will?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.