<< Over the past few years, I've upgraded four times and realize that I would have ended up with a much better setup if I would had the foresight to plan where I was going.

All of my upgrades have been driven by my need to add more inputs / outputs. >>

coupled with:

-How many sources will you want to record simultaneously.
-What are those sources, mics, instruments, synths, drum machines etc...
-Study the ins/outs of signal routing to understand how you might want to route the signal.
-Keep an eye on expand-ability, will you be able to link more in/outputs through SPDIF or ADAT
-Will you ever have the need to use inserts?

Great points and I'll add many home studio artists overlook an obvious alternative when they buy a replacement interface... When a Mixer can be the ideal solution for their needs.

Once your normal tracking needs exceed 2 channels then it's likely a Mixer will meet your recording needs more cost effectively and efficiently than an audio interface. If your needs exceed 4 tracks, then likely becomes definitely. If for no other reason than the number of pre-amp inputs and routing options. A mixer will do this better than consumer grade audio interfaces at similar cost points. Mixers can be purchased with different quality Pre-amps and the higher quality pre-amps are better than normal audio interface pre-amps and you can always purchase more pre-amps at less cost with a mixer than the same quality and number of pre-amps will cost on an audio interface.

People buy an audio interface to record into a DAW installed on their PC or Mac thinking it's the most viable option. Physical inputs, outputs and routing needs should be the consideration here regardless of what DAW is used. Practically every issue and problem you will have with an audio interface will be due to the interaction of the physical unit, the PC and or DAW connections when you are recording tracks into the DAW. Latency, ram, CPU, USB, Firewire, USB-C, Thunderbolt, ASIO, MME, WAS, MIDI and even OS upgrades all cause continuous and repeatable problems just trying to record an audio or midi track to use in the DAW. Presonus recently obsoleted some VST's with their latest DAW upgrade. Mac OS upgrades have also obsoleted a lot of software programs. Some, are very expensive programs. 32 bit versus 64 bit can be an issue. Hi-Z inputs and phantom power can be an issue with an audio interface.

Digital Multi Track recorders and digital mixers, digital field recorders and the new Hybrid mixers as well as Mixer/Audio interface combo units are all viable and many times better options than a traditional audio interface. For home studio recording, the $400 Tascam DP-24 offers many more benefits than a $400 2 channel audio interface. More benefits and zero issues with any of the audio interface/PC connection issues mentioned and all the other issues I overlooked mentioning.

Heads up, your DAW does not require an audio interface. Tracking is different from editing and mixing. If you research hardware devices for primarily the tracking features you can easily narrow choices to your specific needs and purchase hardware that has features you'll use, and not 26 adat and spdif inputs and outputs you'll never use but paid for, and can't use without the purchase of more expensive pre-amps, fx's, etc and the expensive cables to connect them.

Before upgrading, review your particular tracking workflow and give some thought to if separating tracking from editing and mixing in the DAW will work for you. Your DAW will not care if the input comes from an audio interface, USB or SD card.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/09/20 12:17 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.