Originally Posted By: eireguitar
Hi all! Looking for recommendations for setting up a basic studio. I've wanted BIAB for years and am finally getting it. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new PC, and when I've set that up, will download BIAB 2020. I am a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and would like to know what else I need in terms of recording equipment. I know the sky is the limit, but starting with the basics:

- a vocal mic. Don't have the cash for a Neumann. Thinking of a USB mic. This has pretty great reviews, eh? Other suggestions? https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Condenser-Recording-Streaming-669B/dp/B06XCKGLTP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=YGL5UB9T4DO4&keywords=usb%2Bmicrophone&qid=1580188941&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=usb%2Bmicrophone%2Caps%2C151&sr=1-4&th=1

- USB guitar cable...There are a bunch out there, anyone recommend one that will work with Windows 10?

Ten years ago I did an instrumental CD with ProTools and Reason. It was great but am wondering if I really need a DAW for a singer/songwriter project?

I have an Edirol 88-key controller; would that work with BIAB straightaway or do I still need software like Reason for it?

Regarding pitch correction, does Melodyne 4 (Essential) work with BIAB or is it an external program one uses and then imports the audio file back into BIAB?

Any other tools or equipment one should start out with? Thanks in advance for your help!

Vocal USB mic and USB guitar cable..... just say NO. Instead, purchase a decent USB connected musical interface such as Focusrite or Presonus, or any of a dozen other rigs on the market. They give you audio inputs with phantom power. Avoid the wiz-bang models that are interface and something else in one.... they can be problematic. Don't use the sound card in the computer for music recording. Just don't. Buy an interface.

Purchase a straight up old fashioned condenser mic. Those can be had for a decent price. I've heard some really nice mics for under $100. USB mics have a purpose but it's not really designed to do music recording. A USB mic shows up as a second sound card and syncing the clocks with the computer/interface can be a challenge.

For guitar, I recommend a guitar processor such as the Line6 POD or whatever else you fancy. Plug straight into the processor and plug it straight into the interface audio in. Even a line out or a simple mic on the speaker of the amp. I use the mic on the amp quite a bit.

As far as a good DAW.... Cakewalk sonar is FREE now from Bandlab. It's the top of the line flagship DAW that used to cost hundreds of dollars.... and it's free.

Your midi can be input via USB or a USB cable without any issue. I have a $20 USB midi cable from 5 pin din to usb that works well.

Pitch correction: Yep Melodyne is the way to go but..... I recommend using it in a DAW like Sonar and not BB. It will probably work fine in Real Band as well.

Other equipment: I like a dedicated computer that's off the internet. I hear people complaining about the newest W-10 upgrade screwing up DAW settings all the time. So, park it off line and set it to manual upgrades not automatic so when it does see the net it won't automatically upgrade and wipe your settings.
Also, some decent studio monitors are essential. Mixing well depends on you hearing well. If you can't hear it, you can't mix it.

Bottom line: Buy and use good equipment. You will never regret buying good gear.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/04/20 05:10 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.