I still use Adobe Audition 1.5 daily. It's adapted from the old Cool Edit Pro. I know it cold and it does most of what I want. It's ancient by now.

Yes, I also use a DAW, but for many purposes, it's good to have a stereo file editor.

Adobe Audition has two main drawbacks:

1) it crashes a lot, especially when the full file is not in view
2) it does not understand the newest plugins, like VST3 (and I've converted to 64-bit in just about everything)

I also have Adobe Audition 3, but it suffers from bloat, won’t share ASIO and also doesn't recognize VST3 plugins.

So I just tried the demo versions of WaveLab Elements and SoundForge.

What a difference! WaveLab (by Steinberg) makes you jump through registration hoops, but the program just looks modern and handles all my plugins.

Sound Forge looked functional but felt 'old'. It reminded me of another program you might know. And although it comes with extensive effects, I could not figure out how to add my plugins. The look and feel of the program did not inspire me to try further.

So, if you are still with me, what are you using? Is anyone here using WaveLab? Anyone using Sound Forge? Still suffering with Audition? Something else? Yes, I'm familiar with Audacity; I need something much more powerful.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors