Since you'll be starting from scratch you should strive for what's best and not necessarily someone's favorite. Aim for a program made for the job and that is stable as well as compatible with a DAW.

Still using Adobe Audition 1.5 means nearly any current program will be far advanced from what you're use to.

I recommend Studio One Professional. It has a very powerful Project page designed for stereo editing and mastering. It has high quality plug-ins, tools and very well designed and useful presets. It is a professional, commercial grade product designed to do specifically what you're needing.

I think it will be suitable to you for several other reasons too.

. It will work extremely well in both the DAW and Project page with your X-Touch controller.
. There are templates available making setup of the X-touch quite easy and quick.
. There are commercial grade covers to go onto your X-Touch identifying all the faders, buttons and knobs to match the X-Touch to the DAW/Project commands.
. There is seamless integration between the DAW and the Project Page. For instance, if you're editing stereo file and discover you need to make a minor fader change on an individual instrument, you can make the change on the DAW page and it automatically updates the Project Page stereo file.

I don't think you should concern yourself about the learning curve. There will be a learning curve at some level with any new software you choose. But in your case, with Studio One, you don't have to learn the entire software. You need it specifically for stereo editing. Everything else about the program can be considered a future benefit and can be ignored until the day you either choose it as DAW or accidentally discover a feature and include into your workflow. It's simply a case that you'll have more than you need for the day you need more than you have. wink

There are ton's of tutorials on YouTube and entire channels dedicated to Studio One Software. I have no doubt you will be able to install the software, Install and set up your Audio interface and sound modules, install and set up your X-Touch, install and set up a Keyboard, load and edit your first stereo file in less than a day.

It will also help future proof your studio. Studio One stays current with changes in the hardware sector of the industry and is very stable with most manufacturers products. It has pro grade plug-ins and works seamlessly with most after market VST's. (PG Music's Band in a Box VST included.) Regarding future proofing your studio, I know you've had your X-Touch for several years and may need or consider replacing it or upgrading in the not to distant future. A Major benefit you get with Studio One that no other DAW can match in its price range is the tight integration between the DAW and Presonus's controllers, Faderport 8 or Faderport 16. Presonus's latest version upgrade release has put Faderport integration as the main new upgrade feature and the controllers access and control the DAW VST's both factory and third party.

In your situation, if you don't use it for nothing more than the project page and the additional VST's it includes and the high quality presets, you'll get your money's worth.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.