Having worked with various IT departments, and been at the receiving end of either poor IT practices, or failure of IT to follow their own procedures, I can assure you that all IT groups are not created equal. Having been at the mercy of of MS patches not properly vetted by the responsible group prior to distribution (e.g., SharePoint), time and money are key impacts.

The point: Many (if not most) home users are not in the business of vetting OS patches (or applications for that matter). So yes, it behooves the home user to become as informed as possible on good backup/restoration practices. But flawed/problematic updates are often beyond what the home user has at their disposal to deal with. I don't mean that as an insult to the home user, but rather as what the situation is.

A quick aside: When the home computer users are eventually forced to download software apps each time to use them (i.e., like the main frame days), and pay a monthly/yearly subscription fee (Office 365 and others), the user will be faced with a crossroads situation. Granted, many large corporations/companies have "leased" software and support for years, but a quick analogy: Does one want to buy a tool and use it, or rent it ad infinitum at a higher overall cost.