Here's my first post! It's instrumental guitar-based rock called High Frequency Tilt.

The details are below. I'll appreciate any feedback on how the mixing and mastering sounds, and if you like it or not. I learned to play guitar listening to the Beatles, Yes, Zep, Gentle Giant, etc., so I like combining lots of seemingly different things, which isn't for everyone.

I do this solely for fun but thought I'd go to the community for the first time to get feedback. If you like something more headbanging, skip to the last section!

Thanks - Doug

https://soundcloud.com/user-88842976/high-frequency-tilt/s-TqkTo

Currently I use Studio One 4 (DAW), Studio 192 (audio interface), Helix Native (multi-effects amp modeling plugin), Superior Drummer 3, O9 and N3 for mixing and mastering, BiaB, and a few other plugins. I play 6 and 7 string guitars and 5 string bass, incl fretless. I built some of these instruments with Warmoth components, incl my 5 string fretless bass.

I heard about BiaB at the end of last year and thought it might be a fun tool to add some extra sounds to my guitar-based instrumentals.

This song is “High Frequency Tilt.’ If you play guitar, you might know this to be the effect you get when using a long cable from guitar to amp, resulting in the highs being reduced a bit. Most of the guitar parts are my Strat with Fishman Fluence pups, which has an HFT switch. I used that in parts of this song to tame the Stratty highs just a little. It sounds better than cutting a frequency with EQ (to me). I also used a Warmoth 7 string guitar I built with single coil pups routes that have Seymour Duncan Minihumbuckers.

All drums are SD3 and all leads are me, as is all the headbanging ending. While I used BiaB, I exported tracks I wanted to use as wav files so this song was done in my Daw.

I started with San Fran w/ Acoustic Piano as the style. I played some bass on my Fender 5 string and used some from Biab. The bass is #995. The first rhythm guitar is Biab, with a Fender Twin amp model added. The piano parts are #2460. I used several regenerations and picked complimentary parts and panned them R and L. The organ is 671 and the 12 string guitar is 1681.