Thanks for the response, Bob...

I guess I left a few things out of my post. Sorry.

My keyboard is a M-Audio Oxygen 25. Generally, I don't need to do anything when I plug it in. It works fine with my other computers on Reaper and other MIDI apps, although I don't have BIAB on any other machine. So it's not just Reaper and BIAB. All of my other MIDI programs/apps/whatever produce sound or show a response when I hit a key.

However...

When I use Reaper or BIAB or any other MIDI program on THIS computer, it shows "Oxygen 25" as the MIDI keyboard, but when pressing a note, no MIDI communication is happening. (I do have MIDI-OX on one other machine... I'll put that on this one to see what it can tell me... good idea!)

On VSTi instruments that have a virtual keyboard, I can play them by clicking on a key. Works fine. Just can't do it with my keyboard.

I also tried using a separate keyboard with a MIDI to USB adapter on it. No dice. Then I went from that keyboard using standard MIDI In, Out, Thru... still nothing. The problem is definitely in this computer, since all of these things work on other computers.

The real big mystery is WHY. Why did a Windows update mess up THIS computer and not the other ones, when they also got that same update?

Nothing that I have checked, except the "only 10 MIDI slots" (from the aforementioned Korg utility) has helped. But there has to be a way to change that setting, or disable/enable the devices. Maybe in the registry, but I'm no programmer, so I don't want to change something important and crash my computer.

Anywhoo... that's where I'm at. Win 10 apparently only allows 10 MIDI devices, but in my computer there is a device at #1 and #10, and Winderz is too dumb to know there are other slots open. BTW, this is my interpretation from what I've found online and in using that little Korg install/uninstall utility. So, some of my conclusions may be faulty. wink

Thanks,

Jim

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.