The other day, when starting up my win10 64 bit desktop, I got notice that Windows was installing updates, that It would take a few minutes, and that I should not turn off the computer. GRRR.

An hour and a half of frequent checks showed the same $-%%: messages. Power outages are not unheard of around here, or surges that reset my battery backup. One happened while I was away.

Now I can't boot up except to a notice that a certain file in the Windows directory is missing.

I don't have a backup disk. I've read that I can DL an .iso to thumb drive and use it to repair windows, but I can't make sense of any discussion/articles about whether or not I can keep my non-windows files...like two years worth of creative work with biab, not much of which is backed up.

All I wanted to do was spend a few minutes on the computer I paid for. I'm beyond angry, and as much with myself as with Windows. Well, mostly Windows. Give me a freaking option!!!

SO...is it possible I can get things back close to the way I had them? Any not-too-technical instruction U can read?

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully important info is buried in there.

Last edited by Tangmo; 03/01/20 04:15 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground