Originally Posted By: KeithS
Not long ago, I finished listening to a Trump lead news conference, after the major players came out of a strategy meeting in the situation room. My take on what I heard is that the administration is no longer in denial about the seriousness of the situation, and if they follow through we will no longer be talking about Republican or Democrat responses to the pandemic but a unified national approach. Symbolically, Trump was wearing a Blue USA cap instead of his usual Red MAGA cap.

Just as Congress and the Administration came together right on the bare edge of economic collapse in 2008, it appears from the language used in the news conference that the accusations of HOAX have come to an end, and the levers of government are now being pulled to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 albeit with some rewriting of history and some self congratulatory back patting for their now visionary response. It’s sad that we always have to wait until we are on the bleeding edge of disaster before we acknowledge what the experts say for weeks in advance, but at least this morning, our government appears to have all been singing from the same page of the hymnal.

Visits to nursing homes will be banned, sick people will stay home with government backed financing for their sick leave, test kits are being made available, special websites set up and more. We can still argue what could have been done earlier to have made our response more robust and less financially difficult than we now face, but there are no longer any vocal deniers of the problem at the national level.

I generally agree with your assessment. But, as I'm sure you know, trump is only on-board the sane train as a matter of pressure and convenience. He'll be red-hatted and off the rails again shortly!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 03/14/20 10:03 AM.