Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Appreciate your data and statistics. You have no way of knowing how accurate the statistics you are relying on is?

Are you seriously suggesting that I should be suspecting the number of reported deaths from SARS and H1N1 as inaccurate?

Based on what? Because you feel that it's not right?

Quote:
In my song I'm just saying the press did not hype up the panic back then with either of these two flu's and small businesses did not shut down, nor did people quarantine. This is a fact.

No, that's not entirely factual.

Fact: SARS is not a strain of the influenza, so it's not a flu.

Fact: The press did "hype up" H1N1. I included a link to support that statement, as well as paragraph from the article, in case you didn't feel like clicking the link.

It's true that business in the United States didn't shut down, and people - for the most part - didn't quarantine.

You seems to be implying that because we didn't act the same with H1N1, the reason is politically motivated reasons, or perhaps because of media hype.

If you had checked out this link I provided, you'd have gotten an explanation of how H1N1 differs from Coronavirus.

Since you seem adverse to clicking links, I'll provide a summary.

The Coronavirus is a "novel" virus, meaning that it's "new", and there's no existing immunity. In contrast, H1N1 is a strain of influenza, and wasn't completely "novel", so there was some level of existing immunity in the community - especially among older people.

H1N1 has a shorter incubation period than the Coronavirus, with symptoms showing up in one to four days after contracting the virus. Symptoms for the Coronavirus may not appear at all, or take up to 14 days to appear.

The mortality rate for H1N1 is estimated to be around 0.02%. For the Coronavirus, that number is in flux, initially reported at 2.3%, but now estimated to be perhaps at 1%. That's still a larger than H1N1 by a factor of over 100.

H1N1 was also less contagious than Coronavirus.

All these factors together indicate that the response to the Coronavirus needed to be different than the response to H1N1.

But if you still feel that none of those facts provides adequate justification for treating Coronavirus differently from H1N1, you could look to how the Coronavirus is effecting countries like Italy. I provided several links on that, as well.

So you don't have to click the links, here's the summary: "We underestimated this. You don't have to do the same."

Quote:
However, songs are just songs and they are specifically that person's individual reflection on what's happening at the time according to that person's take on it.

Statements of facts in songs are like any other sort of statements of facts.

In this case, some are inaccurate.

Quote:
Does a song have to be politically correct or statistically accurate?

If a song states something as if it were factual, then it should be accurate.

Quote:
I hope not because all creativity is out the window and we're then living in a communist environment that it all has to comply with what the state tells us we can or cannot say.

No one's First Amendment right has been abridged.

You've chosen to exercise that right by writing inaccurate information.

I've chosen to exercise that same right by pointing out where you are factually inaccurate.

Irony Alert: We're writing this on a commercial message board of a Canadian company. And - spoiler alert - our speech on this forum is censored.

Quote:
I am not writing a historical documentary, even different news channels state different statistics from day to day and medical doctors disagreeing with each other as to how serious this is.

Medical doctors disagreeing with how "serious" something is means they're discussing statistical likelihoods of something happening in the future.

The number of people who have died from H1N1, SARS and COVID-19 aren't seriously in disagreement, other than perhaps some level of undercounting.

Quote:
This is a song, it's my interpretation and my right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Yes, you certainly have the right to be wrong, and you're fully exercising that right.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?