This morning, there was an article in one of our newspapers, The Age, about how the corona virus' impact on mental health is around seven times greater than the impact of the bushfires. The link is below (although this probably won't work if you are outside Australia).

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/coronavirus-impact-on-mental-health-seven-times-bushfire-anxiety-20200325-p54dwg.html

This is pretty frightening because the emotional damage of the bushfires was enormous!

This article made me realise that, even though we are now in a state of household isolation I need to keep in touch with friends and family and be mindful that they may not be coping well.

Because I'm a teacher, I have a job that is regarded as essential. This means that I am guaranteed an income. Some of my friends and family do not have that guarantee. Because of this, I have told those around me that if they need money for living expenses, they should ask me for it without feeling embarrassed. While I can't promise to cover everything, I will certainly do what I can to help. Even if I cannot provide money, I might have some thoughts that could help reduce anxiety.

These are extraordinary times and I don't want to lose anyone because I could have helped out when they couldn't cope.

In 2014, I lost a son to medication for severe PTSD that was a consequence of his years of working in Iraq and Afghanistan. The day he died, my employer let me have time off to be with him. When lunch ended, I debated in my mind whether or not to return to work or to take him home - he lived about an hour's drive away. I chose to go back to work because he was in good spirits and so I sent him home on a train. I never again want to feel the immense guilt and the overwhelming loss that I felt when he left this world later that day.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024