Originally Posted By: MarioD
Glen what DAW are you using?
On Windows, I am using Mixcraft, it seems to do everything I want. But I am agnostic and have tried others. On my iPad, I am using Cubasis, which is surprisingly good for playing with loops and developing ideas. I also own a Korg PA4x and sometimes develop ideas playing on the keyboard...my keyboard skills are so so, but I can chord and develop ideas. I was a businessman for 50 years, only recently come back to music. I am 71, a musician since I retired from business.
Quote:

Are you doing your MIDI editing in BiaB or your DAW?
I didn't know you could edit MIDI in BIAB! I only understand the basics of BIAB: load a song, or create chords for a song, pick a style to go with it, swear at the sound of the instruments, sigh a lot. When I want to edit, I go to Mixcraft.
Quote:
If you are looking for a GM sound set that sounds as good as the individual sounds of Kontakt, Sampletank, etc, forget about it. Some of those individual sounds are as large as an entire GM set, memory-wise.
No, not expecting that miracle. Those libraries are for finished production work. I am mostly a hobbyist, singer and wannabe songwriter. Just wanting something better than default GM sound on Windows. I am really looking for the best way to develop song ideas, where the sound I am listening to is not distracting me with its cheesiness. Korg sounds are beautiful, Mixcraft sounds are generally good with the included instruments, Cubasis sounds are decent for what I am using them for, but BIAB sounds are a distraction. BIAB looks like it would be a good platform for developing song ideas if I could be listening to better quality instruments. Also, I am practising singing standards, and want a better sounding band!

Quote:
Either way for the best MIDI sounds you will have to learn how to assign each BiaB MIDI track to an individual sound source regardless if you do it in BiaB or your DAW. The same is true if you are using hardware that does not have a GM set.
I do change the instruments in BIAB, using a dropdown in the Mixer window, when an instrument is particularly bothering me. Tenor sax sounds awful, but no substitute for it in the horns that I could find. Acoustic piano is not great, so I switch to one of the electrics. Sometimes I find something better, but it wastes time and breaks me away from the creative process.

Quote:
The TX16Wx can be used as a player only. That is how I use it when on occasion I need a SF2 sound, which for me is when I need a GM drum kit. I rarely need such a kit but if/when I do the TX16Wx is my go-to SF2 player. There are others available though.
I have to set this aside because I don't understand at all how this integrates into BIAB. How do you tell BIAB to not use the standard Windows MIDI?

Thanks for all the great help!