Following Bob's train of thought...

This afternoon I helped set my Dad up to use Zoom, so he can Zoom with his siblings. He's using my Widget microphone, so all I need to do is find him a webcam.

Easy, huh? It's not like I'm looking for toilet paper.

Everyone in my household already has a computer with a built-in camera so they can Zoom their classwork. So I guess I didn't notice there had been a run on webcams.

There's nothing affordable on the local Craigslist.

Our local Target is still open, so I checked their website. They haven't got any webcams that sell for less than $400.

I had a look at the Best Buy website, and everything affordable there is sold out as well. But the brick-and-mortar store is closed, so that's sort of moot.

Fry's hasn't got any webcams, but then, they're pretty much a shell of what they used to be.

The local OfficeMax does curbside pickup, but the only webcams not listed "Out of Stock" turn out to be "For Future Pickup", which seems to be a distinction without a difference.

There are a number on Amazon, but they have reviews like "Didn't work" and "Worst webcam I ever owned.". Since some of those date back to 2008, I'm sure they work even better on Windows 10! wink

This isn't really a complaint, as much as it's an observation how fragile the supply chain can be.

Edit: Looks like I may be able to find a digital camera and make that work instead. smile

Anyway, I've got to imagine there's a huge load on the interwebs these days.

Makes my glad I'm not a network admin!

Last edited by dcuny; 04/01/20 03:25 PM. Reason: Digital camera

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?