Quote:
Actually I just went to hook up the controller and apparently the PCR M80 is now discontinued. The last driver Roland made for it was for Windows 8/8.1. Would it work with Windows 10?

Most likely it'll work, but you'll need to test on your given system though
Just making sure; you understand the Roland controller drivers are totally separate from the Focusrite drivers, right?

Quote:
For my last project 11 years ago, all I had was the controller, ProTools and Reason. I'm guessing Reason was the softsynth you're alluding to?

11 years ago?!
That was way back in tech terms .. things have changed a whole bunch since then.
It's possible that Reason was indeed the synth, however getting it to work now may be more challenging than the above item, now that it's 11 years later.

Quote:
How do I find out if I have a USB2 or 3? I have a USB hub, if that helps.

Ideally check the motherboard specs if you know them, or computer model number.
Even if the hub claims to support USB3, if what it plugs in to (the computer) only supports USB 1 or 1.2, it doesn't matter. The core system (your computer specs) define your limits of connected equipment.

If I recall you mentioned a 10 year old Phenom II processor (the system) so my money is on the the chances your USB is not meeting the need.
If that's the case, don't try to solve the USB issue separately from the system. You're due for an upgraded system IMHO. Your USB may be an issue (one of the issues) .. getting Reason working is another .. the controller drivers are yet a third issue.
I'd worry about the controller drivers last.
A new controller is cheap, if that's the problem, but the 8.1 drivers will likely work.
The other issues will help determine which direction to throw your money. I wouldn't invest in anything until the core computer system is in a known good working condition.
Then you can eliminate/replace peripherals.

That's just how I would approach it from your position.

Last edited by rharv; 04/06/20 01:34 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome