Hey Goofyfoot, I'm in the same tub with you. I learned piano as a young teenager, but my teacher really didn't teach me timing. I've played piano all my life and recently learned theory, voice lessons and guitar, and BIAB have written over 380 songs in eight years. I can count a song spot on, but when I go to play or sing I get off and the worst I don't know it. When I write songs I go from 3/4 or 6/8 to 4/4 timing. Many really good musicians always point it out. Sometimes I try to use a metronome but even that doesn't help much as I tune it out, since I'm focusing on my playing or singing.

But I decided to accept my challenge, what the heck!. I write some pretty damn good lyrics (my specialty) and can do melody decent. So what, we can't all be good at everything. If I have a really good song I want to pitch to someone, I hire a sound engineer and musician to get the timing perfect.

When I was taking voice lessons at a very good music university, one of my professors said that scientifically it's been proven that some people's brain's do not have this rhythmically function, kind of like some people are tone deaf or are dyslectic. I can be improved upon with practice and I've found this to be true, singing with backing tracks I think has helped me the most. So, appreciate your other gifts, don't beat yourself up, acknowledge your challenges and keep practicing. Eventually you'll find something that helps and you will get better.

Someone suggested that playing with a band would help, which I think possibly would, however I'm 66, too old and don't want to do all that travel or getting together.

Anyway, I'm happy with what I do. Love BIAB.